Welcome




Welcome! Don't know if you find what you are looking for here, but please feel free to browse around. My intent is to have some space to think things out and share my questions and comments about life from a Christian world view.








Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Pay day!

I asked God to speak to me throughout the day today. It's only mid-afternoon and He's spoken to me twice in unique circumstances. (I did make it to the computer this morning. a stretch farther than yesterday, was pouring through some scripture on line, more meditation on Matthew 19 expanded from yesterday.)

So God gave me the illustration first and the lesson second. Most everyone who knows me, knows I've been working P/T as a chaplain. I love the work. It's a great match for my gifts. Two months ago, I was drawn in to minister to a particular individual who has been under the care of the agency for an extended period of time; much longer than most people stay under this type of care. (Want to respect the HIPPA laws here and the confidentiality of the position so I have to speak in very general terms.) In a nut shell, the person showed strong evidence of a turn around today in front of several people. That is, they showed signs of some spiritual emotional healing. It was a simple statement, "I am blessed." This from a person who has spent so much energy lamenting their diagnosis and doubting they were worthy of being forgiven. when I heard the news it was spiritual payday! Not because of me but because of what Christ has done for this person!

The shift has been taking place I think for a couple weeks, maybe three. The individual is changing from focusing on the problem and turning to some life changing Truth that is the solution for the problem. That person is slowly letting go of the lies that tempt and convict them to believe untruths about themselves and beginning to embrace the truth of a God who personally loves them. In addition to today's statement, yesterday they self corrected themselves without my prompting acknowledging that what they were feeling was not the truth (Hallelujah!).

Now that's the illustration. The lesson came through listening to Dr. David Jeremiah on the way home from the office. he was teaching on 1 Corinthians 10:13

13No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.

One thought he said was a real no-brainer, (but oh how slow we humans are to learn this lesson) but never-the-less it profoundly struck me. I will try to paraphrase it here: if we stay focused on our struggle with the problem, our weakness in dealing with the problem, we tend to stay surrendered to or enslaved by the problem. He said the victory starts to come when we turn our focus on Christ to distract us from the feelings of helplessness and replace them with the truth of a loving Savior.

Now I'm not, nor do I think Dr Jeremiah was, trying to say we can drown our troubles if we don't think about them. I think the point is that the power to heal comes from focusing on the truths that set our spirits free. As we internalize truth about God's love for us, it counters the lies that keep us captive in negative self images. The "way out" is to turn away from the problem and turn towards Christ.

The evidence, the illustration is being shown in the changing attitude of our special PT.

I am reminder of a chorus to a wonderful prayer song:

Turn your eyes upon Jesus
Look full in His wonderful face
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim
In the light of His Glory and Grace


A few more words from Scripture to affirm the healing power of intimately knowing a loving Savior

Colossians 3:1-3 1Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. 2Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. 3For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God.

Romans 12:2 Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

and finally,

John 3:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Stay close to Jesus!

REG

No comments: