Welcome




Welcome! Don't know if you find what you are looking for here, but please feel free to browse around. My intent is to have some space to think things out and share my questions and comments about life from a Christian world view.








Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Trust in the Living God

When I was in seminary one of my professors had an incredible gift for slowing us down and getting us to meditate on God’s word. Often as a means to center us for the day and prepare us for our time with him in class, he would have us read silently from a selected psalm. After a few minutes of contemplation, he would ask us to share just one word that speaks to us from that passage. One word that for us personally summarizes the spirit and essence of the psalmist’s message.

He has written me twice since I have had my accident and I am blessed that he so kindly remembers me. In one of the cards he sent me, he cited the first 5 verses of Psalm 20. It was no doubt intended to be a prayer and a blessing that he was pronouncing over me as his thoughts and prayers were lifted to heaven on my behalf.

This evening,in honor of his influence on my life, I went back and read through the psalm again to practice this spiritual discipline. The “word” that unquestionably came to the forefront for me was “trust.”

Everything within this psalm is predicated on trust in a living God.

Trust that there is a God who hears us.
Trust that there is a God who can protect us and help us.
Trust that there is a God who knows us intimately and personally and is involved in the details of our life.
Trust that there is nothing in our world as worthy of our trust as He is.
Trust that our victories come through Him and not our own designs.
Trust that He is more than worthy of our praise and worship.
Trust that our lives and our fate are in His hands.
Trust that He is sovereign even we cannot comprehend or understand.

And I would add to all that: trust that there is meaning and purpose in everything we experience in life even when suffering is involved.

Thank You Dr Flora for always pointing the way toward The Master, Our Lord Jesus Christ.

Stay close to Jesus,

Bob

Psalm 20 (New International Version)
1 May the LORD answer you when you are in distress;
may the name of the God of Jacob protect you.
2 May he send you help from the sanctuary
and grant you support from Zion.
3 May he remember all your sacrifices
and accept your burnt offerings.

4 May he give you the desire of your heart
and make all your plans succeed.
5 We will shout for joy when you are victorious
and will lift up our banners in the name of our God.
May the LORD grant all your requests.
6 Now I know that the LORD saves his anointed;
he answers him from his holy heaven
with the saving power of his right hand.
7 Some trust in chariots and some in horses,
but we trust in the name of the LORD our God.
8 They are brought to their knees and fall,
but we rise up and stand firm.
9 O LORD, save the king!
Answer [a] us when we call!

3 comments:

Chuck L. said...

Talk a bout a "God thing"...
In all of me reading and study in the past few weeks the message that has been coming through has been about "trust".
I have been stuggling with anxiety and I have been reading God's word and other spiritual text to find how to overcome it. Over and over again I am hearing "trust" in the Lord. Thanks for your message.

Anonymous said...

Bob;
Pastor Larry here, I agree that there is purpose and meaning in everything, every word, every action. Trust in the Lord, with all your heart, soul, mind, body and spirit. Listen closely to what the Lord is saying in this time of transition back to "full movement", and don't allow the desire to be weight bearing to deafen His word. We love you.

REG said...
This comment has been removed by the author.