Welcome




Welcome! Don't know if you find what you are looking for here, but please feel free to browse around. My intent is to have some space to think things out and share my questions and comments about life from a Christian world view.








Tuesday, September 9, 2008

What is truth? Part deux

Picking up from yesterday, a friend once said to me, “God is whoever you define him to be.” At the time he said it, I hadn't been challenged yet to really think deeply about such things. There was something inherently irksome about it to me. It just didn't set well. I'm glad my experiences, education and most importantly journey to know Christ more deeply, led me to where I am today. I know that can’t be true. (Although a lot of people believe its true.)

We are in a funky age where people think truth is subjective rather than objective. Believing something is true is not what validates it to be the truth. Truth is self evident and non contradictory. It stands alone and is independent of any opinion we have of it. Saying God is what we define him to be, de facto, puts us in the position of being God to make that defining statement. God can define himself and that would not be contradictory but for us to define him is not logical.

In a effort to validate ourselves to “look good” and maybe appear religious, we could buy into the notion it is a "right thing to do" if we at least acknowledge there is some sort of spiritual hierarchy in the universe, some sort of higher power. But we are fools to think that each one of us has the right to individually define that higher power that created and holds the universe together.

In order for God to be God he must be the essence of truth in nature, self defined, eternally existent. He must always be all knowing (omniscient), all powerful (omnipotent) and ever present (omnipresent).

Deuteronomy 6:4 (Contemporary English Version)
4Listen, Israel! The LORD our God is the only true God!

Isaiah 43:10-11 (New International Version)
10 "You are my witnesses," declares the LORD,
"and my servant whom I have chosen,
so that you may know and believe me
and understand that I am he.
Before me no god was formed,
nor will there be one after me.
11 I, even I, am the LORD,
and apart from me there is no savior.


It either is the Truth or it isn’t but it can’t be both and still be the truth.

Lord,
Help us to understand there is just one truth not many.
Help us to understand you are the source of all truth.
Help us to wrap our minds around the greatness of who you, the authenticity of who you are and the authority of your written word that reveals to us who you are.
Amen

Stay close to Jesus
REG

No comments: